Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cursed as a Strange Attractor

It just fascinates me how I can go somewhere, intent on an errand, business or something relatively important to me, that I complete it in a timely manner, to be blocked by social clots of people or mechanical clots of vehicles.

I always blame it on strange attractors defined as;

Odd Factoids"An attractor is a set to which a dynamical system evolves after a long enough time. That is, points that get close enough to the attractor remain close even if slightly disturbed. Geometrically, an attractor can be a point, a curve, a manifold, or even a complicated set with a fractal structure known as a strange attractor. Describing the attractors of chaotic dynamical systems has been one of the achievements of chaos theory."

I look out and see the street is empty and totally quiet or drive onto a street where no one is around and no traffic. But the minute I step out there or begin to drive on that street, it's like an explosion of people and/or traffic.

Same thing for people blocking the road by standing or walking in the street, or vehicles parked in the street or double parked close to a correctly parked vehicle, so that it's difficult and dangerous for anyone else to pass.

People will stand on the sidewalk doing nothing, but the minute I get close, they decide to bolt into the street. They didn't see me and were looking straight ahead or in the opposite direction, forcing me to stop or slow to let them pass.

It's very annoying but I think a characteristic of the people of Mexico. All the years I lived in Texas and in all my travels, I have experienced the 'strange attractor' everywhere but nowhere have I seen people stand around for long periods and only decide to cross when someone is in process.

In an ideal world, INERTIA RULES...my vehicle is bigger, heavier and faster than you, so with more inertia, if it comes to an accident, you lose.

There should be some way to phase conjugate and cancel or at the very least, attenuate the human strange attractor phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment